Friday, August 28, 2009

Getting into Politics

Is it just me or have people told me all my life (in the last 4 years or so) that I should go into politics? The most common responses I get are that I should consider a career in law, politics, or a behind-the-scenes career for the first two items. BIZARRE, considering I never once considered doing either things and never imagined myself in such roles. I mean, really, me? A lawyer? (I barely survived undergrad, ain't trying to get into no law school and pore over hours/days/months/years worth of law.) And, politics? Sheesh. (I had to force myself to become diplomatic while managing a household of 40 while in college... not sure if I can handle that in the public spotlight.) So, I don't know where folks are coming up with such looney ideas, but I appreciate the support and confidence. I mention this because a good friend of mine from high school, Almaz, came up with that idea earlier tonight! Silly people. (I am not that ambitious.)

HOWEVER, I do have ambitions of becoming a Victim's Advocate with the DA's Office in the Victim Services Unit. That is about as much law and politics I wanna get involved in.

Although... I did, once upon a time in high school, consider becoming a lobbyist for social issues and social welfare. But, quickly gave that up because... well, I don't know why. Must've lost interest and didn't have enough interest to begin with.

Anyway. Now that people have mentioned this to me on several occasions, I do sometimes wonder if that is the path I should have chosen. (I mean, I'm young, so I still can. But - y'know. It's not in my thoughts nearly as long as social welfare or public policy has been. So. Sorry law and politics. You're getting the boot.)

Have you ever had a similar experience? Have lots of people told you to get into a particular profession that you've never dreamed of?

No comments: