Saturday, November 21, 2009

Fade into the back

Lately I have been noticing a trend (in my own life) towards the subtle and the muted. I feel a great urge to return to the pure and the natural (or, at least, my interpretation of pure and natural). Subtle, muted, pure, and natural are piggybacking on the simple and minimalist lifestyle I have been trying to craft for myself.

There is something very freeing about colors that fall into the back, neutrals that seem both luxurious and, well, natural (like it's something we are meant to enjoy, that we know we will enjoy), and soft, muted shades that sometimes feel like a second skin. They feel so natural, like it is no big deal to be so drawn to them, yet so new, like rediscovering an old favorite.

It is a glorious discovering.

And my love for natural fibers seem like a natural, usual, appropriate affair. Linen, cotton, silk, cashmere. They are my lovers. My natural-born lovers. My birthright. And it feels like a nasty cheat when I am near synthetics: polyester (ouch), nylon (ew), rayon (OMG), and this thing they dare call "stretch" (just kill me).

This simple-subtle-minimal-faded love affair evokes states of rest and nourishment. Yearning and hungering only for that which is provided by mother nature. Mentally and emotionally fed by calm soothing shapes, shades, and gestures.

I feel as comfortable in hazy browns and grays as I do in my blues, greens, and teals. Something sumptuous. Something right. Something that is like the earth and the water that we cannot live without.

Glorious. indeed.

No comments: